Friday, January 22, 2010

Vivo


For 28 years of my life, I had never met a pizza I didn't like. This was before I went to Vivo in Soho.

This overly pretentious yuppy magnet was rumored to have classic neopolitan pizza, so I thought I'd give it a try. As I've been trying to put this dining experience out of my mind so that the nightmares will stop, I'm not sure what I ordered. It had something to do with mushrooms, ten times more truffle oil than should be on any food in the universe I don't care what food it is, and garlic.

Oh, pizza from Vivo, how do I hate you?

Let me count the ways:

Crust: Three words for you...salty, thin, not much better tasting than 3 month old hardtack. Ok that was three concepts, but saying "three concepts for you" is lame. 0/10

Sauce: I don't think there was any, but as I mentioned the amount of truffle oil on this p.o.s. was insane. If I had a truffle oil allergy, I would have been dead just smelling this thing. N/A

Toppings: See previous comments re truffle oil. The mushrooms were good but as I don't think its very hard to procure decent tasting mushrooms I give no credit for this. 4/10

Ambiance: I do no speak Italian and we are not in Italy. Therefore please don't send out your too bold of a pinstrip suited man to speak to me in Italian before my meal. I must say though, that the decor in this place is nice - its dark without feeling like a basement gangster steak house and has hip lighting and shrubbery on the walls (a must). 8/10

VFM: Although the pizza was priced at about what you would expect for an Elgin Street place the wine list was egregiously expensive. I saw wines on this list that I've bought for USD10 at Surdyk's in Minneapolis for USD60 at this place. 2/10

I've never eaten anything else on the menu at Vivo however I absolutely cannot recommend this restaurant to any pizza lover with a soul.

Overall Pizzaliciousness: 0/10

Vivo
41-43 Elgin Street
Tel: 3106 2526

No comments:

Post a Comment