Monday, May 3, 2010

Black Sheep Cafe

I was planning on parking it on the couch with eighteen episodes of Gossip Girl and some melted cheese last Saturday but NO of course it had to be absolutely perfect beautiful sunny weather for the first time since December so I was forced to go outside and hike Dragon's Back to Shek-O. Luckily my unhealthy habits prevailed and I still ended up at a pizza place.  I will work on the Gossip Girl situation at a later date.  Such as during a typhoon.

I usually associate Shek-O with overpriced, mediocre Thai food.  I can tell you that you are going to have a hard time convincing me to go to one of those places again knowing what I know about the delicious 'za available.

Firstly and most importantly the crust.  The crust on the first two pizzas we ordered could have been cooked longer, therefore we didn't like it very much, as evidenced by the following:
Actually it was good, but we ordered a third pizza and the crust was nearing perfection.

We went with the margherita, magic mushroom and Planet Cheese (capitalized due to its status as a proper noun describing a particular place) pizzas.  The magic mushroom pizza had white sauce which was nastastic, but other than that the tomato sauce on the others was actually really good - not too thick, no tomato paste flavor and not too strong.
The Planet Cheese and margherita pizzas were virtually indistinguishable but that may have been our fault for nixing the anchovies on the latter.  Although since when do margherita pizzas have anchovies?  I would have gone with slightly more cheese here but its not a fatal flaw.  

The ambience is cozetastic and perfect for sitting outside if it's not too hot.  One thing that I don't understand is the back room which is filled with black lights and the accoutrements that usually accompany them...but I guess it goes with the magic mushroom pizza?  In any event, don't let that fool you into thinking you can come here on a college stoner's budget...the munchies to dollar spent ratio is a bit low.  


Crust: 9
Sauce: 9
Toppings: 7
Ambiance: 7
VFM: 6
Overall: 8...but I'm leaning towards a 9

Black Sheep Cafe
Somewhere on Shek O Road
2809 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment