Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pizzazorama - Part 1

From the moment I laid my eyes on this pizza dough I knew it was going to be fantasmagorical.  Actually it was super sticky and I had no faith in it whatsoever.  But that just goes to show you – when you are very mediocre at  what you’re doing – you should never trust your instincts. 
The recipe I used is the New York pizza crust and New York pizza sauce from Tomy Gemignani’s  (world pizza tossing champion) cookbook, which was co-written by Diane Morgan. This brings me to an important and extremely relevant to this blog's purpose question:  Why do you need a co-writer for a cookbook?  
ANYWAY...

This crust turned out to be amazing for the following reasons:  it was crispy yet chewy (center was still a little soggy but I will work on that) and it had BUBBLES in it just like New York pizza which was the direct result of my magical pizza tossing (or stretching) skills.  This was also my first attempt to date with a dough hook which I think also allowed me to use less flour – props to the E Street Band for that one. Lastly, I think the bread flour really contributed to the overall texture, and I look forward to using it with some other recipes in the future.   For toppings – I went with the pizza equivalent of a mat shot, which I like to call “Random mixture of cheeses whose only connection to each other was that they happened to be in Duffy’s fridge at the same time.”  As that’s not a very catchy title, I will think of a new name soon.  I’m thinking something along the lines of: Duffy’s Booyalicious Pizza.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Looks fantastic - trying this one next. We made the Neopolitan recipe last week and the dough was also weird (really stiff), but turned out great. You just have to work it a lot to get it thin enough... Your pics are making my mouth water, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete