Saturday, February 20, 2010

Al Dente

Dear Al Dente in Wanchai,

You called me at 8:31 p.m. to make sure I would be there for my 8:30 reservation, even though you also called me at 6:30 to make sure I was coming.  You sounded a little to eager, but I excused it because I figured that since 5,000 U.S. marines were in town, you would be packed to your little Wanchai gills.

Little did I know that actually, you are just a tiny little thing. But that doesn't excuse everything. Why does your front door have no handle? That is confusing and makes people look like assholes.

Your pizza oven looked legit.  This gave me hope.

Your pizzas are good, but they are not the best pizza in Hong Kong.  The crust was crispy, thin and delicious, but you didn't use enough tomato sauce, just like your HK peers.  I thought you were different!?  Your toppings were fresh and good, but bland. We all added crushed red pepper...granted...it was the good kind of red pepper (the finely crushed really spicy kind), but we all felt robbed of the true pizza flavors we truly sought.

You're a nice place, Al Dente, but I don't think its going to work out between us long term. I think we should just be friends.

Sincerely,

Duffy

Crust: 9
Sauce: 5
Toppings: 5
Ambiance: 7
VFM: 7
Overall: 6

Al Dente
G/F 153 Jaffe Road
2122 9795

Note that there are locations in Soho and Sanlitun also.

Funghi:

Margherita:
Parma ham:
Margherita again:

Gratuitous dining companions shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment