Friday, February 5, 2010

Happy Herb Pizza

Cambodian food had three of the characteristics I enjoy most in a cuisine, namely, it was 1. cheap, 2. delicious and 3. always served on a banana leaf. A handful of people have told me that it tastes like Thai food without the heat but in my opinion Cambodian/Khmer food had more elements of Indian food in it than Thai food does.  They also eat a LOT of fish which I did not expect given that I didn't even know they had a coastline.  Or the largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia....

Nonetheless, there comes a point in any journey when you're through with the local fare and you just want to try a good pie.  GROSS I TOTALLY JUST SOUNDED LIKE ANTHONY BOURDAIN.

Upon the recommendation of Lonely Planet we tried our luck at Happy Herb pizza, one of the many Cambodian chains specializing in "happy" pizza...I'll let you make of that what you will, however if that were a real thing wouldn't they be serving it at college campuses all over America by the truckload?  Just saying.

We ordered 3 pizzas, and I think its pretty safe to say we were underwhelmed by all three.


My notes from the evening are nearly illegible but here's what I can make out:

"Its kinda shit."
"Looks like frozen pizza."
"Uninspired."
"Suboptimal kind of ok sucks."
"There's nothing good about this pizza."
"I like the blocks they're served on."
"I'm happied out."


But we had a fun time, and as a wise man once said, its not where you go, its who you're with.



And now for the ratings.

Crust: 3
Sauce: 3
Toppings: 3
Ambiance: 7
VFM: 7
Condiment Selection: 10
Overall: 4

Happy Herb Pizza
#068 Mondul 1, Khum Svay Dangkum
Siem Reap, Camboders

012 838 134

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Duffy. I'm impressed you were able to read any of the comments we made.

    ReplyDelete